Monday 24 December 2012

Dear Diary...Traffic!

First of all, I apologize this is coming late. This was supposed to have been posted about 48hours ago. I hope I've been forgiven? Without further ado, lets go straight to the story of my day and boy what a day it was.

Traffic! Traffic!! Traffic!!! That was the theme for today. Unfortunately, I didn't get the memo; I would have made some changes to my schedule. Oh well, let me take you to the beginning.

I woke up at 6am. I conducted some early morning business, placed an order for the delivery of some goods later in the day. I scheduled it for 5-ish, I planned to go out you see, I figured I should be back by then. I was to meet my dad on the mainland sometime before noon, so I set out in my car for the 1 hour or so journey. As if it was a sign of things to come, I spent about 75mins on a journey that should take 60mins. But I didn't think much of it, since I wasted some time by taking a route I was unfamiliar. I was in limbo for a while, tried using GPS; it didn't help much as the route it suggested was blocked off. Then I remembered a saying common among my people, the Yoruba people, it says, "the man who knows how to ask for directions never gets lost". So, I asked the next person I saw, a young boy, he pointed out the way. Coincidentally, it was a path I had passed taken and I remember thinking, "this could be the way", remind to listen to my inner voice. Anyway, I made my way to my dad's office and after a while we set out together to conduct some business and effect some transactions at the bank.

This time the Traffic was not of cars but of people in form of a long queue in the banking hall. I suppose since it was the last day of the week, a lot of people were making last minute transactions, as were we. It took us another hour or more to complete our transaction and head back to our individual businesses.

I needed to make some purchases, so I made a stop at the market. With the boot and back of my car, filled with the stuff I just bought, I set out on the trip back to the island, it was 2pm. Remember I said the trip should take about one hour? I didn't get home until past 5! An extra 2hrs on the road. It was a hot day, 33ÂșC!
Traffic on my way back to the island

Exhausted, thirsty, skin covered with a thin film of dust (it's harmattan season in these parts), I finally made it home. Showered, had something to eat and went back to work. I had a few hours left before Close of Business and there was still quite a bit to do.

N.B: I obviously didn't fill my diary *covering face*. I'll make it up to you.

+Muyiwa Alesh
follow me on twitter @muyiwaalesh




No comments:

Post a Comment